After an Accident

  • Call your insurance company and check whether you can report the claim through the phone or via the internet. Unless the incident is a serious one you may not need to even visit the office of your insurance company.
  • If you have Comprehensive cover they will make arrangements for a surveyor to inspect your vehicle. This will be done at the premises of a repairer of your choice. 
  • If you don’t have Comprehensive cover, and you are not at fault in the accident, you will need to register your claim with the insurers of the party responsible.
  • The insurance surveyor will inspect your car and come up with an estimate of the cost to repair the damage and the time needed for repairs. The bills will be paid by your insurer but you first need to pay your excess.
  • Disputes concerning responsibility for the accident are resolved by the insurance companies involved by making reference to the Highway Code and to court or arbitration decisions taken on similar cases. It may be necessary to refer the case to an arbitrator where an agreement cannot be reached. The arbitrator will be an independent person (normally a lawyer that is experienced in cases involving motor collisions). He will hear all the parties and examine the documents involved and then give a decision on liability.
  • Replacement car hire costs will be paid only for the period during which the vehicle is actually being repaired. If possible you should seek to have temporary repairs effected so that you can continue using your car while waiting for repairs to be commenced.
  • If the market value (cost to replace it with a similar make and model) is less than the cost to repair it then your car will be declared a “total loss” and you will be entitled to receive an amount equivalent to its market value less the wreck value.
  • If you feel that the market value is not representative of your car you will need to convince your insurers as to why it needs to be higher. The key is to present as much evidence as possible. If your car is in particularly good condition, take photos as evidence. Keep receipts of any work done that may increase the car’s value, including service history. Also remember that many modifications that appeal to you may not add retail value to the car and may even reduce its value.
  • If you are involved in an accident where the other driver is uninsured, some claims will be met by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. Ask your insurance company for advice on how to claim.
  • If you are in any way unhappy about the way your claim is being handled you may make a complaint in writing or by sending an email. If you are still unhappy with the response you received, you can refer to the Consumer Complaints Unit at the Malta Financial Services Authority in Attard, who will provide you with advice and assistance on to how to proceed.
This article is for information puposes only and was brought to you GasanMamo Insurance Limited which is authorised to carry on business of insurance in Malta in terms of the Insurance Business Act 1998, regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority. Company Registration Number: C3143
Head Office : GasanMamo Insurance Ltd, Msida Road Gzira Malta. Click here  to view a map and visit their head office, branches and other tied insurance intermediaries locations.