Going Abroad

All private motor policies issued in Malta extend automatically for use in all EU countries, and certain other European countries (such as Switzerland).
The cover, however, is limited to third party liability.

To get your full level of cover (Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive), always tell your insurance company before departure so that they can arrange to extend cover during your visit, and in some cases, be prepared to pay extra for this.

Keep in mind that policies issued in Malta are intended to cover vehicles that are based in Malta and used abroad only for short trips. If you are moving to another country and taking your car with you make sure that you inform your insurer as this is considered as a material fact and failure to do so may invalidate your policies. Also keep in mind that the general rule is that a vehicle should be insured in the country where it is based. It is unlikely that a Maltese insurer would be willing to cover a vehicle that is based in another country.


This article is for information puposes only and was brought to you GasanMamo Insurance Limited which is authorised to carry on business of insurance in Malta in terms of the Insurance Business Act 1998, regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority. Company Registration Number: C3143
Head Office : GasanMamo Insurance Ltd, Msida Road Gzira Malta. Click here  to view a map and visit their head office, branches and other tied insurance intermediaries locations.